Download Worksheet - English Download Worksheet - French Download Worksheet - Spanish
In this module we will be outlining why it is important to tell stories to evoke change in others. We look at various tips and tricks to consider when thinking about communicating online. We will think about what it is that makes great leaders and how influence can be used for social change.
The content of this module will help you identify some of the tools available to you when looking to target a specific audience. It will give you insights into the best strategy to use as change makers wanting to challenge others thoughts on the environment through the power of using your own voice.
Communication and the Art of Storytelling
In order to communicate effectively humans have developed the art of storytelling.
Communication is part of being alive, as humans we have lost sight of the reason for doing so. On a basic level, we communicate to relay positive or negative information about our environment to others. This has been manipulated by humans to make us feel as though we need something. The most important thing to remember when we are looking to communicate effectively is to tell the truth.
Storytelling has been used for thousands of years as a way that information can be passed down from generation to generation. When looking at solutions for environmental issues we know that conveying information effectively is key to the survival of our planet in years to come. Storytelling is a fantastic way to package up a message or pose a question which will inevitably evoke change in another.
The Power of Influence
There are lots of things to consider when it comes to influence. We must remember that in order to create an impact, our message must be clear. There are a multitude of different platforms to connect with the rest of the world. Here are just a few examples:
- Pros: Global reach, content is very authentic, very quick easy videos, and it’s free!
- Cons: Video popularity can be quite transient and videos can be lost amongst other content, censorship risks, maintaining viral video content for followers can be time consuming, and there is a limitation of content format.
- Pros: You can express your ideas, sharing with future generations, global reach with the potential of positively impacting the lives of many, you can connect with other youtubers, and it’s free!
- Cons: Building a brand and starting a channel can be time-consuming. People may have opposing opinions or views to you and others may take your ideas and it can be relatively competitive.
- Pros: An abundance of the type of content you can create, global reach and the use of hashtags, and it’s free!
- Cons: Maintaining a high level of content creation can be time consuming, keeping followers engaged means a lot of content creation.
- Pros: Fantastic for job hunting and connecting with professionals, creating a profile is free, multitude of types of content you are able to share.
- Cons: Getting full access to learning materials and a premium profile costs money.
- Pros: The ability to share your own perspective in words, potential for global reach if your blog is picked up or shared by someone with a large following.
- Cons: Reaching your target audience is often hard, some blogging sites cost money.
(Tip: Blogs with short snappy content usually gain more traction such as ‘7 way to…’)
Knowing your audience
Who are you targeting? Think about age, education level, ethnicity, culture, language religion.
How are you going to reach them? Think about the platform you are going to use to make the most impact for your chosen audience.
Why are you contacting them? Think about the message or question you are asking of your audience.
- Telling a convincing story is super important if you are trying to communicate a certain message due to the neurological response it has on the listener’s brain.
- Creativity is your best friend when it comes to communication that leaves an impact!
- It is important to identify how you wish to spread your message.
- If you have social media, you are already an influencer. Use these existing tools to create positive change.
- Having a clear understanding of who your audience is goes a long way to grow your influence.
- The most important thing to identify is the question or message that you are asking.
- Beginner: Create a blog post/facebook/instagram that asks your audience a question. Think about your target audience and make sure it has a clear message. Use Canva to help design a poster.
- Intermediate: Take a look at this Youtube Video. Now think about an area in which you feel you may be able to do your own vlog. Think about your own personal changemaker story and publish it on one of your social media platforms.
- Advanced: Think about a specific area you feel passionate about when it comes to environmental issues. Think about the ways in which you could organise a one-off event, either online or in person, and invite fellow changemakers from your community. Draft a speech which aims to persuade your audience to join your movement and relate it to a personal story.
After watching the video of the module, we encourage you to think, reflect and learn about the following questions:
- How can you weave information about the environment in to a personal story or anecdote?
- What are the platforms you currently use? How could you utilise your reach to engage with people and start conversations about environmental issues?
DIGITAL MARKETING DIRECTOR OF LET’S REINVENT
UK/ CHINA / VIETNAM
Tuanne is a world-class Digital Marketing expert with over 12 years of experience working for national and global brands, strategising and executing digital marketing across the full-performance and martech stack.
She is unparalleled in combining creativity, data, insights and business acumen in rolling out marketing initiatives on a global scale. She exemplifies her strategic leadership and passion to supports underrepresented groups to help them grow and realise their full potential.